Friday, February 22, 2013

My First Art Festival!

What I felt like on the first day of the festival
I survived my first art festival this past weekend. I participated in the
Art Expo in Altamonte Springs, Fl.
I say survived because it was CRAZY windy on Saturday and my tent almost flew away. However, I had the best neighbors - Jake and Kitrina Asuit from Georgia who own the2jakescustomknives. These people saw that I was in trouble and stopped what they were doing to help me out. Kitrina and Jake came SEVERAL times through out the day to tie down my tent. 
It was so nice to know that there are still good people out there that genuinely help others for no gain for themselves. I was and am still very grateful!!! Thanks Jake and Kitrina!

Even though it was ridiculously windy, I did really good. 

  • Made my booth money back on Saturday.
  • Received an invitation to hang some of my work in a restaurant in College park. 
  • Invitation to sell some of my work at a shop for hand made gifts call Artistree Gifts.
  • Opportunity to submit some sketches for a graphic novel.


I did this festival as a goal I set for my self. To get past my fears of not being accepted as a "Real" artist because I decided to change my style from realism and the art school class pet to just draw and paint what ever the hell I wanted - half animation - half mixed media. 
The fear that no one would like my work, fear of talking to others about my self, all these stupid fears...which that is what they were - stupid and NOT real (my husband says FEAR stands for False Evidence Appearing Real) he was right because I sold out of several of my prints. I made several new friends, people were VERY supportive, people kept saying - "Your work is so different" and I even inspired a couple of budding artists!
I am so glad I did this - I did it scared, but I did it. 

7 comments:

  1. Congrats to you! What an inspirational read. Thank you for sharing!

    ;-> Felicia
    There are no rules!
    www.feliciaborges.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Felicia - this was an inspirational post. It's great that all these wonderful things came out of the show. I think this is what happens when you have courage to step out of the box. Congratulations on a successful show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, you sure faced all your fears head on and you did fantastic. You Go Girl!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice depiction of your feelings there :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Alex - always like your encouraging words

      Delete
  5. Kinda blown away from your post. But first let me say your booth drew me in and was so happy to now own one of your prints. Now the reason I was blown away...I am an artist also and went to the Fest to "scout it out" from everything to how artist packaged their prints to the tents, well everything! I am about to do my 2nd show in April, but it's the sci-fi conventions. But yes I really want to take that huge step you did and do the Art Shows. I like your husbands outlook on "Fear" and shall repeat those words to myself every time I question myself. Congratulations to you and if your local again I'll be there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Donna. I am glad that I could be of some encouragement. I did the same thing for years.
      I wish you the very best and please share where you are going to be so maybe I can stop by! PS - if you are outside make sure you have 50lbs weights on each leg of your tent - I learned the hard way! Hey maybe that will be my next blog post "Lessons learned the hard way.."

      Delete